Monday, August 1, 2011

File Folder Loco Mock-Up

As they say, "When the Narrow Gauge Logging Bug bites, it bites hard." After discovering a vintage photo of a cool Diesel "critter" during a Google search, I had to try and build a On30 version as part of the loco fleet for my under construction Blackwater & Mosquito Creek Lumber Co. On30 modular layout.

Using a HO-scale Atlas Alco S-1 chassis, I built a new deck from sheet styrene which overlays the original HO frame.

That's where I stopped with the styrene and began with file folders to work-up the cab and hoods for the new On30 "Critter." I used an O-scale ruler, pencil, scissors, a hobby knife and tape to form a mock-up of the new loco.

I'll let this sit for a day or so until I feel the dimensions and proportions are they way I want them. Right now I think the cab needs to be trimmed in lenght, narrowed on the sides a bit. Then , when I'm happy with the look, I'll start cutting styrene for the actual superstructure.

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you simply for scratchbuilding a locomotive... Can't wait to see how this turns out.

    ReplyDelete